Women's WCup: England recover from poor start to post competitive total
- Kashmir floods LIVE: Many feared dead as houses collapse in Budgam district
- ‘Mukhyamantri ka saala’ is a story of growth in Chhattisgarh
- AAP removes Ramdas as Lokpal, Bhushan from disciplinary panel
- Ahmed Patel, seen and heard like never before
- Retd Lt Gen says will write to Chief about Army role in Hashimpura
Knight also did not last too long after Brindle's fall, dragging a ball on to her stumps while trying to sweep a wide ball from leg spinner Sandanali Dolawatte as England slipped to 114 for five.
However, the recovery for the holders was continued in good measure by the pair of Gunn and Jones who helped the team close in on the 200 mark by batting through the second power-play period.
Lanka snapped the partnership with the final ball of the 47th over, which brought Brunt to the crease, and the tall batter hit Kaushalya for a six and a four in the penultimate over.
England 238 for 8 (A Brindle 31, H Knight 38, J Gunn 52, A Jones 41; K Lokusooriya 2 for 49, C Senevirathne 2 for 35, S Siriwardena 2 for 62) v Sri Lanka.