Won’t sit quiet, will fight charges of corruption: Gadkari
- Malaysian plane crashes off Vietnam coast; 5 Indians on board
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
Says family has only Rs 1 lakh shares in Purti, asks how can investor companies be called Purti firms.
BJP president Nitin Gadkari on Monday vowed to fight the charges levelled by him in the media, saying, "I am a street-fighter. I have been accused of wrongs I haven't committed. I will not sit quiet. I will take this fight to the courts as well as to the people."
Specifically mentioning a "media house", he said it had laundered money in Mauritius after buying Rs 10 shares for Rs 38,000. "I have the papers. I will not leave those unchallenged who have indulged in character assassination," he warned.
Addressing a crowd of supporters near Gadkari Wada (residence), where he was escorted in a procession by his supporters from the airport after he arrived in the morning from New Delhi, the BJP president said: "I was asked by my workers to explain what all is being said about me. That's why I am here to explain. The Congress and their media agents ran all false stories against me. I have done no wrong. I and my family have shares only worth Rs 1 lakh in Purti group. Let anyone investigate. I have myself volunteered to be probed. Kar nahi use dar kaisa (one who hasn't done anything wrong wouldn't be afraid of anything)."
Questioning the allegations made against him, Gadkari said: "The media said I have laundered money. The investor companies were described as Purti companies, when Purti isn't responsible for their details. If you have some company's shares, do you own that company? Similarly if some companies have shares in Purti, do they become Purti's adjuncts? How am I responsible if companies have shown some wrong addresses?"
Asserting that he had built houses for poor workers at concessional rates, he added: "NDTV said I am a builder. Many of you here are beneficiaries of those Rs 400 per sq ft houses. Do you anywhere get a house at that low a price?"
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today