Work to begin on new homes for Kalkaji slum dwellers
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: Maxwellâs 43-ball 95 helps KXIP chase 206
The work on 8,000 flats for residents of slum cluster in A-14 Kalkaji is set to begin soon. The Delhi Development Authority (DDA) has already floated tenders for the project, which is termed as the biggest slum rehabilitation scheme taken up by the land agency in recent times.
"Tenders for the project have been floated and we will award the work soon,'' a DDA official said. According to officials, work will be taken up in phases, and the first phase will involve construction of over 2,000 flats.
"DDA is going to take up this project on its own. There is an empty plot near the slum cluster, which was earmarked for a community centre. In Phase-I, work will begin here. Once people shift into the new flats on this plot, the vacated land will be used for the next phase of construction. The cost of the project will be borne by DDA. The cost estimate for phase-I is around Rs 500 crore,'' non-official member Subhash Chopra said.
It is learnt that each building will have 15 to 16 floors.
The DDA is also trying to carry out slum rehabilitation in Kathputli Colony, where the work has been taken up under PPP model. "The transit camps at Anand Parbat are almost ready. A total of 2,800 transit camps are supposed to be provided to start work at Kathputli Colony. We are trying to provide basic facilities like water and power before people start shifting to these camps,'' a DDA official said.
"Kathputli Colony is spread over 5.22 hectares. The project envisages construction of 2,800 EWS units for the families. This will act as a pilot project in Delhi,'' the official said. The project will have a 10 per cent commercial component.
- Khushpreet murder: Court holds 3 accused guilty
- Youth shot at, bullet still lodged in body
- Anti-incumbency strong, Akali SOS to BJP: send Modi
- Ahmedabad ‘dressmaker’ has designs on Modi’s style
- RSS launches statewide campaign for 100% turnout, no mention of Modi
- Movie on Modi released statewide, Cong cries foul