Would not function at anyone's diktat: Mamata Banerjee
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Asking Banerjee to take a cue from her Maharashtra counterpart, he requested her to suspend the police officers who had ordered and implemented the arrest of Prof Ambikesh Mahapatra of Jadavpur University and the West Midnapore farmer.
Mahapatra was arrested in April for circulating a cartoon spoofing the chief minister, drawing on some dialogues from Satyajit Ray's film while Siladitya was dubbed a Maoist by Banerjee and had him arrested after he asked her a question during a rally in August.
"You should immediately withdraw the cases against them and apologise to them," Katju said adding Banerjee should also immediately restore to her former position Damayanti Sen who was transferred from the post of Joint Commissioner of Police (crime) following the Park Street rape case which she cracked.
He also advised her to apologise to all those against whom action was taken for voicing opinions against her.
"We are all human beings and we all make mistakes but a gentleman is one who realises his mistake and apologises. You should also apologise to Tanya Bharadwaj whom you insulted on the CNN IBN show," he wrote referring to the student who questioned the chief minister.