Wrestling could be out of Olympics from 2020
- All attempts being made to free soldier in Pakistan captivity: Rajnath Singh
- SC cancels Mohammad Shahabuddin's bail, orders police to take him into custody
- Congress and I stand by PM Narendra Modi: Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes
- Bihar liquor ban: Patna HC strikes down govt's prohibition law, terms it 'illegal'
- LIVE: PM Modi calls second Cabinet Committee on Security meet
In a surprise decision, the International Olympic Committee Tuesday dropped wrestling from the list of core sports, a move that could lead to its elimination after the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
A final decision on eliminating the sport, which has been a part of every Games since 1896 barring one, will be taken in September.
Wrestling's exclusion comes as a shock as modern pentathlon was the favourite to get the axe. The decision to drop wrestling was taken by the IOC executive board by a secret ballot over a number of rounds in Lausanne, Switzerland. In the final round, hockey was left with wrestling and modern pentathlon.
The board voted after reviewing a IOC programme commission report that analysed 39 criteria, including television ratings, ticket sales, anti-doping policy, global participation and popularity. The decision was also subject to political and sentimental factors.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment