WT20 notes: Taufel, one final time
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR field, Southee makes his IPL debut against CSK
Taufel, one final time
* Australian Simon Taufel will officiate in Sunday's World Twenty20 summit clash between Sri Lanka and West Indies -- his last assignment as an ICC Elite panel umpire. Taufel along with Pakistan's Aleem Dar will be the on-field umpires for the final between Sri Lanka and West Indies. Rod Tucker and Ian Gould have been appointed the third and fourth umpires respectively. Match referee for the game would be Jeff Crowe, an ICC release said. Meanwhile, for the women's final between Australia and England, Billy Bowden and Marais Erasmus will be the two on-field umpires. Tony Hill will be the third umpire while Nigel Llong will be the fourth umpire for the eves' game. Graeme La Brooy will be the match referee. Meanwhile Taufel said the 2011 World Cup semi-final between India and Pakistan was the "most exciting match" of his career.
'Pitch not ideal for T20'
* ICC CEO Dave Richardson on Saturday admitted that the strip used for the first semi-final between Sri Lanka and Pakistan was not "ideal" for T20 cricket but mentioned that pitch preparation is a difficult task in the prevailing climatic conditions in the Island nation. Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram had also criticised the pitch at the Premadasa Stadium. "Ideally, we need to ensure that a pitch doesn't change its condition from one innings to next one. Yes, the pitch used in the first semi-final wasn't an ideal wicket for T20 format as there was too much assistance to spinners," Richardson admitted on the eve of the final between Sri Lanka and the West Indies. While Akram had accused Sri Lanka of trying to prepare a wicket that suits their spinners, Richardson said that conditions were same for both teams.
IPL is not cricket: Akhtar
* Former Pakistan pacer Shoaib Akhtar has said IPL is just "business and entertainment and not cricket". "Don't make it the benchmark. IPL is not cricket, it can't be India's criteria for excellence. What's worse IPL can make players limit their goals, dream small," Akhtar said. He also expressed concern that money and glamour can lead to youngsters going astray in international cricket. "How do you tell an 18-year-old to not look at girls. There are heady temptations of fame and girls swooning over rising stars. At 20 you get fame, you've crores in your pocket, you have people who lead you down the wrong path," Akhtar added.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'