'Yasin admits to role in 2010 Chinnaswamy Stadium blasts'
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: Maxwellâs 43-ball 95 helps KXIP chase 206
Arrested Indian Mujahideen (IM) operative Yasin Bhatkal, in the course of interrogation by multiple agencies over the last 10 days, has admitted to have played a central role in the April 17, 2010, blasts at the Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bangalore. He has, however, not been forthcoming on the source of explosives for the blasts in Bangalore and other places.
Sources who have been involved in the questioning of Yasin since his arrest on August 28 revealed that he accepted being present at the scenes of the Chinnaswamy Stadium blasts, the German Bakery blast of February 13, 2010, and the Mumbai blasts of July 13, 2011.
"It may have to do with the fact that he knows that many of his associates involved in the stadium blasts case have been arrested so he admitted his involvement in the offence," a police official who interrogated Yasin last week said. But Yasin claimed he was not present at the site of the Pune blasts of August 12, 2012 and the February 21, 2013 blasts in Hyderabad.
The stadium case was more or less solved following the capture of five IM operatives in New Delhi in November 2011. Among the others wanted in the case, in which five bombs were set off before an IPL match, are Riyaz Bhatkal, Iqbal Bhatkal and Mohsin Chaudhry — the other top line leaders of the IM.
According to sources, Yasin claimed he does not know the source of the explosives used in the bombs. "He claimed that Riyaz Bhatkal would direct him to suppliers," a source said.
The blasts in which Yasin claims he was not directly involved, like the one in Hyderabad this year, were carried out by Waqas alias Javed, who is absconding, and Asadullah Akhtar, who was arrested along with Yasin, sources said.
- Khushpreet murder: Court holds 3 accused guilty
- Youth shot at, bullet still lodged in body
- Anti-incumbency strong, Akali SOS to BJP: send Modi
- Ahmedabad ‘dressmaker’ has designs on Modi’s style
- RSS launches statewide campaign for 100% turnout, no mention of Modi
- Movie on Modi released statewide, Cong cries foul