Yasin Bhatkal's aide flown to Mangalore, identifies IM's 'bomb lab'
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal holds roadshow in Varanasi before filing nomination
- Mulayam Yadav calls Narendra Modi a liar, says he changes 500 kurtas a day
- Bhavnagar model: Muslim buys house, canât move in
- 12-yr-olds also voted in this Bihar village
- Shazia says Muslims should become 'communal' when they vote
Information obtained from Indian Mujahideen co-founder Yasin Bhatkal and his fellow operative Asadullah Akhtar is believed to have led security agencies to an apartment in Mangalore suspected to have been used to make bombs for the twin blasts in Hyderabad in February and for future attacks elsewhere in the country.
The third floor, rented apartment at Zephyr Heights in the Attavar region of Mangalore was traced last Saturday after the National Investigation Agency brought Asadullah, 26, who was arrested on August 28 with Yasin on the Bihar-Nepal border, on a chartered flight to the coastal Karnataka city.
The discovery of 50 digital watches — several with wires connected to transform them into bomb timers, a few cell phones with wiring to again enable their use as timers in bombs, three electrical detonators, about 125 gm of ammonium nitrate gel, fuel oil and a pocket book on bomb circuitry have led investigators to believe that the Mangalore apartment was some kind of an IM bomb lab.
Asadullah claimed he had lived in the apartment for six months until March this year, using it as a base to travel to Hyderabad to plant the bombs for the strike on February 21. He claimed he had returned to Mangalore after the bombing and then moved out, sources said.
He is also believed to have claimed that he shared the flat with two other IM operatives — Tahseen Akhtar alias Monu alias Hasan, 23, from Bihar and Waqas alias Ahmed, 28, from Pakistan. The two are suspected to be experts in connecting the circuits of IEDs and were also involved in the Hyderabad blasts. In fact, it is suspected that they were in the flat until as recently as the arrest of Yasin and Asadullah.
- Run Away Style
- Stakes high for AIADMK, DMK as TN goes to polls
- Six Bengal constituencies go to poll tomorrow in second phase
- Whistleblower alleged kickbacks, favours in ‘thin client’ procurement; NDA never completed inquiry
- Pune AAP volunteers all set to hit campaign trail in Varanasi
- ‘Interstate’ gang of chain snatchers held; gold worth Rs 80 lakh seized