Yasinís CCTV grab had led to his brotherís arrest in 2010
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Cong gave birth to child but killed the mother, says Modi on Telangana
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- IPL spot fixing: Do you want to probe charges against Srinivasan? SC asks Justice Mudgal panel
- Hate speeches: Petty statements by those claiming to be BJP well wishers deviating poll campaign, says Modi
When Yasin's brother, Abdul Samad Bhatkal, was arrested by the ATS on May 24, 2010, from Bajpe airport when he landed from Dubai, it was believed that he was the person who planted the bomb in the German Bakery.
Such an assumption was made as his looks matched with the video grab of a man with a haversack, wearing a cap, obtained from the CCTV camera footage inside the bakery. On May 25, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) even issued a press release that the ATS along with the Pune police were able to identify Samad as the prime suspect in the bakery blast case.
But due to lack of evidence, he was arrested in August 2009 arms seizure case in Mumbai for allegedly providing weapons to Chota Shakeel gang members. He was then interrogated in the bakery blast case too. But the entire episode turned out to be a major embarrassment for the ATS and the MHA as Samad's role in the blast case could be established and he was granted bail by the court. Soon investigators revealed that CCTV camera image was not of Samad but of his brother Yasin Bhatkal.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready