Year after gangrape protests, bit of empowerment but lot to be done
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- SC issues notice to Centre on Kiran Reddy's PIL against creation of Telangana
In Delhi, rapes reported more than doubled, from 590 in 2012 to 1,330 this year, suggesting either that more women are speaking out or that the police are turning fewer of them away.
"Last year's movement seems to have empowered more people to speak out against sexual violence," said Kavita Krishnan, secretary of the All India Progressive Women's Association, but added that the judicial system continues to fail them.