Yet another Panchayat representative killed in Kashmir valley
- All attempts being made to free soldier in Pakistan captivity: Rajnath Singh
- SC cancels Mohammad Shahabuddin's bail, orders police to take him into custody
- Congress and I stand by PM Narendra Modi: Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes
- Bihar liquor ban: Patna HC strikes down govt's prohibition law, terms it 'illegal'
- LIVE: PM Modi calls second Cabinet Committee on Security meet
Jammu and Kashmir government today condemned the killing of yet another Panchayat representative in the Valley terming it as an "act of frustration".
'If they shoot at an unarmed person, it reflects their weakness and their frustration,' Minister for Roads and Buildings, Abdul Majid Wani, said here today.
He said that there are elements which do not want development in the state and are resorting to such activities.
'Whenever there is an effort for development and progress, for which these Sarpanchs have come forward...to start the democratic set-up from the point where from it has to be started, there are some elements which don't want progress and development in the state...,' Wani said on the sidelines of a function here.
Javed AhmWad ani, a Sarpanch in Kalantra-Kreeri in district Baramulla some 45 kilometers from Srinagar, was allegedly shot dead by unidentified gunmen last night when he was returning to his home.
Meanwhile, BJP also condemned Javed's killing and alleged that government has done nothing to protect the Panches and Sarpanches of the state.
BJP workers led by Panchyati Raj cell convener, Baldev Singh Baloria raised slogans against the National Conference led government and alleged that they were not willing to provide security to the Panches and Sarpanches.
'Government had promised security to the Panches and Sarpanches but many of them have been killed by terrorists. Some of the Panches and Sarpanches have also resigned due to the persistent threat but government has not provided them anysecurity,' Baloria alleged.
- India may want calibrated strategic escalation, but this genie will not be put back in easily
- Swachh Bharat completes 2 years, but eliminating open defecation is a distant goal
- Pak does not know what it has lost, India doesn’t recognise where it is winning
- Nathuram Godse was a product of the political climate created by the Hindu right wing
- Why there are protests against Gandhi’s statue in Ghana University
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP