You can replace Pak players, HIL tells teams; women’s cricket Cup takes a hit
- Pravin Togadia under fire over hate-speech, RSS says comments fabricated
- Proponents of Article 370 should say how it has helped J&K: Rajnath Singh
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- Supreme Court issues notice to Goa Police, agrees to hear Tejpal's bail plea in sexual assault case
- Elections 2014 LIVE: BJP blocked Telangana Bill in Parliament, says Rahul Gandhi
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi also happens to be the GCA president. Modi's party BJP too has taken a similar stand towards Pakistan players.
In New Delhi, Hockey India secretary general Narinder Batra is believed to have consulted Union Home Ministry officials before meeting the owners of the five franchises over their Pakistani players.
Batra said the decision to allow the teams to send back the Pakistanis was taken considering the "extraordinary circumstances" and having kept "all stakeholders (including the Pakistan federation and the International Hockey Federation) in the loop".
Batra said that the franchisees, who had to release the Pakistani players, were free to seek their replacements from the allocated budget. "The contract money for 2013 will be paid in full to the Pakistani players and HI stands committed in guaranteeing the same," Batra said in a statement.
However, a team owner said they hadn't receive any official communication from Hockey India and would release their Pakistani players only after getting a formal intimation. "As of now, we haven't been given anything officially. We are expecting a letter tomorrow. So our players will be sent back once we receive it," said the team official.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota