Young Turks ready to jump into fray
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR face stiff CSK challenge in Dubai
Jayesh Radadiya (31)
(Son of Porbandar Congress MP Vitthal Radadiya)
He lost his maiden political battle from Rajkot I constituency in the 2007 Assembly elections. Jayesh is seen as a strong contender for Congress ticket for Jetpur seat. Represented for decades by the Korats — first by road and building minister in the Keshubhai Patel government Savji Korat and after his death, by his wife Jasuben — for Jetpur, the Congress has got some chances after it was included in the Porbandar Lok Sabha constituency from the Rajkot seat in 2009. Both Korat and Radadiya are Leuva Patels, who dominate this seat. Jayesh, had lost to BJP candidate Govind Patel in the last Assembly elections. However, after his father vacated the Dhoraji seat in 2009 to contest LS elections, parts of Dhoraji constituency was merged with Jetpur. He won that seat in the by-election.
Bhavna Bavalia (30)
(Daughter of Rajkot Congress MP Kunvarji Bavalia)
She is a contender for the Koli-dominated Jasdan seat, which was thrice represented by her father before he became a LS member by defeating BJP's Kiran Bhalodia in 2009. Bhavna, however, lost the by-election to the Jasdan seat, which went to the BJP for the first time.
Faisal Patel (34)
(Son of Sonia Gandhi's political secretary Ahmed Patel)
He is said to be grooming himself to contest the 2014 Lok Sabha elections from Bharuch, which was represented thrice by his father — 1977-79, 1980-84 and 1984-89. Holding an MBA degree from a US institute and married to a cousin of Union minister Farooq Abdullah, Faisal was in news in February this year when he addressed a couple of public meetings in the Bharuch parliamentary constituency and it was rumoured that he was preparing to contest the Assembly elections. But his family sources and senior Congress leaders say Faisal is not interested in the Assembly elections and that he is preparing the ground for the next general elections.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'