Younger brother of Congress MP arrested in J-K
- Sahara pleads SC to release Subrata Roy to borrow money for refunding investors
- Kejriwal finds âbakwasâ in Gujarat, faces protests himself
- PCâs dig at MoD: Learn from sub accidents, âspend wiselyâ
- Donât want Hooda aide, Bellary man in NDA: Sushma Swaraj
- Jat quota after riots hurt Muslim sentiments, says Alvi
Younger brother of a sitting Congress MP from Udhampur-Doda Lok Sabha constituency, Choudhary Lal Singh, was among half a dozen people arrested by police after they were caught red handed illegally extracting stones at Sahar Khad in Kathua district.
Identifying Congress MP's brother as Sohan Singh, police said that nearly half a dozen of his employees along with a number of tippers, poclain and one JCB were taken into custody. A case has been registered against all of them.
The District Magistrate, Kathua, Zahida Khan had two months ago imposed prohibitory orders banning extraction of stones and sand from near the railway line, under the bridges and the culverts in the district. Accordingly, a notice was also served on him like owners of other stone crushers.
However, while others shut their operation, he continued with his illegal mining activity, police added.