Youth arrested for killing mother
- Karmakar country: Many Dipas of Tripura taking their own leap of faith
- For India in NSG, China to send main negotiator
- No Railway Budget from next financial year, Arun Jaitley accepts Suresh Prabhu's proposal
- J&K: 15 injured in Poonch blast, pilgrims said to be target
- Tavleen Singh writes: Kashmir’s violent ‘children’
A 20-year-old man allegedly murdered his mother in a fit of rage at his residence in Jogeshwari East on Saturday, police said.
Nilesh Uttam Gawali smothered his mother Nanda with a pillow around 10.30 pm on Saturday and called the police a few minutes later from a PCO near his house. He was arrested at 3 am on Sunday and remanded in police custody till February 5.
Police said Nilesh's father Uttam had gone to his ancestral village in central Maharashtra in search of work on January 31, leaving his wife Nanda, their son and younger daughter Priyanka (12).
On Saturday, Priyanka washed her karate uniform and hung it to dry inside the house and switched on the ceiling fan. This, police said, annoyed Nanda and she began to scold Priyanka. She went after Priyanka with a rod, but Nilesh intercepted her, police said. He then allegedly grabbed a pillow and smothered her.
When Nanda stopped breathing, Nilesh panicked and allegedly ran out of the house to call the police. Nanda was rushed to Cooper Hospital, where she was declared dead.
- To his successor, and to the PM and the government, Dr Rajan has left valuable messages
- Instead of laptops and books in their hands these children had stones and grenades
- Gau raksha is seen not just as a desire but a duty by PM Modi's core support
- PM Modi has put the onus for whatever happens in Gujarat on Amit Shah
- Prachanda must address Madhesi aspirations and bring relations with India on even keel
- Inflation has dropped by a large magnitude, during Raghuram Rajan’s tenure as RBI gov