Youth arrested for killing mother
- Tanzanian student was not stripped, paraded naked: K'taka Home Minister
- National Herald case: Sonia, Rahul Gandhi move SC challenging Delhi HC order
- Budget session of Parliament to begin on Feb 23; Jaitley hopeful of GST
- Suspended UP chief engineer Yadav Singh arrested, Congress, BJP say probe links
- Will stand by Pakistan if it acts on terror: Rajnath Singh
A 20-year-old man allegedly murdered his mother in a fit of rage at his residence in Jogeshwari East on Saturday, police said.
Nilesh Uttam Gawali smothered his mother Nanda with a pillow around 10.30 pm on Saturday and called the police a few minutes later from a PCO near his house. He was arrested at 3 am on Sunday and remanded in police custody till February 5.
Police said Nilesh's father Uttam had gone to his ancestral village in central Maharashtra in search of work on January 31, leaving his wife Nanda, their son and younger daughter Priyanka (12).
On Saturday, Priyanka washed her karate uniform and hung it to dry inside the house and switched on the ceiling fan. This, police said, annoyed Nanda and she began to scold Priyanka. She went after Priyanka with a rod, but Nilesh intercepted her, police said. He then allegedly grabbed a pillow and smothered her.
When Nanda stopped breathing, Nilesh panicked and allegedly ran out of the house to call the police. Nanda was rushed to Cooper Hospital, where she was declared dead.
- Outcome on Section 377 will depend on composition of the Constitution bench
- Inadequate staff, payment delays undermine MGNREGA in drought-hit Mahabubnagar
- ICDS, the primary scheme targeting malnutrition, needs to be broadened
- Rohith's death must focus attention on the rites of exclusion in the university
- Telescope: State in the bedroom
- The economy is best served by lowering interest rates and blocking protectionism