Youth arrested for killing mother
- Farmer's suicide: PM says death has shattered the nation, Congress demands FIR against Modi, Kejriwal
- India needs a law to protect Internet: Rahul on Net Neutrality
- Late night storm claims 32, injures over 80 in Bihar
- A father-daughter angle in latest IPL conflict of interest
- Pak Army announces special force for protecting Chinese citizens
A 20-year-old man allegedly murdered his mother in a fit of rage at his residence in Jogeshwari East on Saturday, police said.
Nilesh Uttam Gawali smothered his mother Nanda with a pillow around 10.30 pm on Saturday and called the police a few minutes later from a PCO near his house. He was arrested at 3 am on Sunday and remanded in police custody till February 5.
Police said Nilesh's father Uttam had gone to his ancestral village in central Maharashtra in search of work on January 31, leaving his wife Nanda, their son and younger daughter Priyanka (12).
On Saturday, Priyanka washed her karate uniform and hung it to dry inside the house and switched on the ceiling fan. This, police said, annoyed Nanda and she began to scold Priyanka. She went after Priyanka with a rod, but Nilesh intercepted her, police said. He then allegedly grabbed a pillow and smothered her.
When Nanda stopped breathing, Nilesh panicked and allegedly ran out of the house to call the police. Nanda was rushed to Cooper Hospital, where she was declared dead.
"It appears that Nilesh attacked his mother in a fit of rage, but did not intend to kill her. We have charged him under Section 302 of the IPC and a probe is on," said assistant inspector Shivaji Patil.