Youth arrested for rape bid, murder of 5-year-old he lured with sweets
- Hamid Ansari row: Govt apologises for Madhav's tweets
- Govt proposes income tax benefit for debit/credit card payments
- Telangana govt clears 17 projects worth Rs 1500 crore in 10 days
- India's tour of Zimbabwe cancelled due to broadcasting rights issue
- Greece bailout: Europe cautiously optimistic, final decision to be reached in a week
In another case of assault and murder of a minor, the Ghaziabad police on Tuesday arrested a 26-year-old man who had attempted to rape a five-year-old girl in the Sihani Gate area on January 8. It is alleged that he later killed her.
The discovery of the girl's body on January 9 angered residents and they blocked the national highway and hurled stones at police.
Police officers said accused Ravi Singh was known to the victim's family and lived nearby.
"Both Ravi and the girl's s father worked as painters. He knew the victim and would give her sweets. Ravi lost his wife to tuberculosis over a year ago. He has a two-and-half-year-old daughter," SSP Prashant Kumar said.
According to the SSP, the accused was a drug addict and had even been admitted to a local rehabilitation centre once.
"When he came across the girl on January 8, he was already under the influence of some substance. The girl asked him for sweets which he usually brought for her. He took her to a field and attempted to rape her. When the girl screamed, he panicked and hit her on the head with a brick. He then fled," Kumar said.
When the body was discovered the next day, Ravi even went to grieve with the family to avoid suspicion. But police eventually zeroed-in on him.