Youth hacks parents to death
- Kashmir crisis: Rajnath Singh dials Sonia Gandhi, Omar Abdullah; appeals for peace
- Toll rises to 25 as Kashmir continues to simmer amid curfew
- Eder wonder goal helps Portugal beat France, win Euro 2016
- Sensex rallies 464 pts, Nifty above 8,400 on Asian leads
- Odisha anti-Maoist ops: ‘When I returned, my wife was lying dead in the drain’
An auto-rickshaw driver allegedly hacked his parents to death in Behala area of the city on Tuesday and tried to secretly bury their bodies, police said. 37-year-old Sovan Sarkar, however, was caught by the neighbours who informed the police about the matter. Police said, Sovan had a break-up with a girl whom he had been seeing for the last few months. Since then he became depressed and had been blaming parents for it, the police said.
JU professor found dead on campus
A professor was found dead inside a toilet of Jadavpur University campus Tuesday, police said. Professor Avijit Ghosh of JU's Sanskrit Department had been missing since Monda evening. As sweepers went inside to clear the bathroom, his body was recovered, they said. Police suspect he collapsed due to a cardiac arrest.
Bribe: HC summons Jhargram SP
The Calcutta High Court on Tuesday directed Jhargram SP Bharati Ghosh to appear before the court in connection with a petition alleging she demanded money from a businessman. Justice Sanjib Banerjee, while passing the order, also directed the petitioner Debabrata Ghosh to be present at the hearing on July 29.
BSF jawan beaten up by smugglers
- In its new phase, ‘azadi’ struggle in Kashmir is leaderless, and has a strong death wish
- AMU founder intended it to cater to the community’s educational needs
- Supreme Court has shone much-needed light on the operation of the AFSPA
- China’s rejection of international arbitration raises questions
- Next Door Nepal: Reprieve for Oli
- Hostilities between Pakistan and Afghanistan are rising