Yuvraj Singh needs to focus more to cement his Test place: Kapil Dev
- India’s surgical strikes along LoC show intent to act strongly against terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls up Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror'
- PM Modi holds Cabinet Committee on Security meeting; Rajnath, Jaitley, Doval present
- Narendra Modi's review meet on MFN status to Pak postponed to next week
- Day after sharing terror information with Pakistan, NIA revises details
Waingankar, who has been associated with Yuvraj's family since 1979, said that once Yuvraj returned from US following his treatment for cancer, he had asked him not to seek sympathy.
"When I spoke to him when he came back from America, I told him don't seek sympathy if you want to perform on the cricket field. You have to go out to that 22 yards and just perform. Cricket is a simple game don't complicate it.
"When I met him at CCI (Cricket Club of India during the warm-up game against England), I saw a distinct change in his approach. The youth had matured," he said.
Waingankar said he did not agree with Yograj, a former fast bowler and hard-hitting lower order batsman, when he put enormous pressure on his son when Yuvraj was a boy to excel in cricket.
"Yuvraj was 12 years when his father used to bowl at him from 15 yards and it used to hurt him. Yograj used to say ...let it hurt. In future also you will have the ball hitting you and and you will have to bear it.
"I was very angry at Yograj. He said what I was unable to achieve, I want my son to achieve it. At that time I was not in agreement but today see where this boy has gone now. He is mentally tough. What he has done in the past one year after cancer is something amazing," he said.
Yograj, who was at the event, said that the reporters should not remind about Yuvraj's fight with cancer.
An emotional Yograj narrated the incident when Yuvraj broke the news to him that he was afflicted with cancer.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment