Zaheer's axe expected, Yuvraj, Bhajji made scapegoats: Gavaskar
- India vs Sri Lanka Live Cricket Score: India pick early wicket as Mohit Sharma removes Kusal Perera
- Congress alone can counter BJP's "divisive ideology": Manmohan Singh
- Congress, SP, BSP indulging in "WWF-like fights" in UP: Modi
- 103 crorepati candidates in Odisha's 70 Assembly seats: report
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Mulayam, Mayawati, Kejriwal dreaming of becoming PM, says Kalyan Singh
Former India captain Sunil Gavaskar today said that veteran pacer Zaheer Khan's omission from the squad for fourth Test was on expected lines but Harbhajan Singh and Yuvraj Singh have made "soft targets."
"If you ask me, Zaheer's exclusion was expected but I believe that Yuvraj Singh and Harbhajan Singh has been made scapegoats," Gavaskar commented about the squad for the final Test match in Nagpur.
"If you look at Harbhajan's performance in Mumbai, he got to bowl some 20-odd overs (21) and also got two wickets. If India lost in Mumbai, it was a collective failure. Yuvraj also got into 30's. If you want to drop them then why not some of the others who have also not performed. Both Yuvraj and Harbhajan are soft targets," Gavaskar said..
The legendary opener also seemed peeved with "attitude of some of the players".
"I think a good idea would have been if chairman of selection committee (Sandip Patil) would have gone to the dressing room and spoken with the players who haven't played some good shots to get out. Also with the bowlers. The defeat should hurt them. But sadly, I saw some of the players joking around and playing football as if nothing has happened. That's not a good attitude."
About the selection of Parvinder Awana, Gavaskar said,"I don't know his domestic performance but if he has done well in domestic cricket, I have no issues. But IPL can't be a yardstick for selection in national team. India cap should be
earned the hard way."
Gavaskar however feels that calling for Mahendra Singh Dhoni's head will be a knee-jerk reaction.
"A captain is as good as his team. I don't think we have any alternative of Dhoni at the moment. If you want to change the captain for the heck of it, then it's different," he concluded.
- Congress alone can counter BJP's “divisive ideology”: Manmohan Singh
- Amit Shah booked for his “revenge” remark
- AAP to concentrate on Nilgiris, Central Chennai, Sivaganga
- China search vessels find no clues for missing MH370 flight
- Army jawan arrested on charges of rape in Kashmir
- Lok Sabha poll candidates in MP use nicknames to attract voters
- Babri Masjid demolition sting: BJP questions timing, asks EC to stop telecast
- Apmaan ka badla lena hoga: Amit Shah in Muzaffarnagar | The Indian Express
- Arvind Kejriwal punched during roadshow in Delhi, AAP supporters thrash attacker
- Sentencing in Shakti Mills gang-rape case likely today, convicts may get death