Zubin Mehta's concert has assumed political overtones: Mirwaiz
- After Fali Nariman, former SC judge questions Lokpal selection process
- TRS wonât merge, Congress readies to walk alone in both Andhra and Bihar
- Bihar: Flanked by Paswans, Narendra Modi sells âN(Development)Aâ
- Nitin Gadkari's âproposalâ for Raj Thackeray: Donât put up candidates for LS polls
- CBI to look into DLF high-rise plan near Rashtrapati Bhavan
Chairman of moderate Hurriyat Mirwaiz Umer Farooq on Saturday said there was no opposition to the Germany-sponsored concert itself but objected to it assuming "political overtones".
"We have nothing against Zubin Mehta or any visiting dignitary...no one is against the event itself but it has assumed political overtures as an attempt is being made that everything is normal and peaceful in Kashmir which is not the case," he told reporters.
The Mirwaiz, who visited the venue of the parallel concert organised by civil society at Municipal Park here, said the Hurriyat sees a "definite design" behind the concert.
"It (the concert) should have been an open event and not an elitist programme," he said.
"We are proud of our cultural heritage and we are going to strive peacefully and politically for our rights," he said.
The Hurriyat chairman said if Germany wanted to contribute to Kashmir, they could have helped in education and health rather than holding the concert.
The hardline Hurriyat faction led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani has called for a strike in the Valley against the concert on the banks of Dal Lake here.
- Russia tightens grip in Crimea, West threatens ‘consequences’
- Heavy patrolling in Sector 23 after thief leaves daring note
- Difference of opinion between Patil and UT’s senior standing counsel led to his resignation
- Commissioner to look into shady land deals in 35 villages: High Court
- Class X maths exam easy for some, tough for others
- Panchkula MC approves budget of Rs 39 crore