Today in pics: December 23, 2013

Mon Dec 23 2013, 18:49 hrs
A cable car facility was for the convenience of visitors and to promote tourism at 16th century Makdhoom Sahib Shrine in Srinagar on Monday (December 23). J&K Tourism Minister Ghulam Ahmad Mir and Rural Development & Panchayati Raj minister Ali Mohammad Sagar were present. (IE Photo: Shuaib Masoodi)
A cable car facility was for the convenience of visitors and to promote tourism at 16th century Makdhoom Sahib Shrine in Srinagar on Monday (December 23). J&K Tourism Minister Ghulam Ahmad Mir and Rural Development & Panchayati Raj minister Ali Mohammad Sagar were present. (IE Photo: Shuaib Masoodi)
The cable car ropeway is the second such facility in the valley after the 'Gondola' connectivity in Gulmarg District. (IE Photo: Shuaib Masoodi)
The cable car ropeway is the second such facility in the valley after the 'Gondola' connectivity in Gulmarg District. (IE Photo: Shuaib Masoodi)
The project has taken almost three years to finish and cost over Rs 6 crore. (IE Photo: Shuaib Masoodi)
The project has taken almost three years to finish and cost over Rs 6 crore. (IE Photo: Shuaib Masoodi)
Besides facilitating the elderly to reach the shrine, the cable car will also give tourists a complete view of Srinagar. (IE Photo: Shuaib Masoodi)
Besides facilitating the elderly to reach the shrine, the cable car will also give tourists a complete view of Srinagar. (IE Photo: Shuaib Masoodi)
Twenty days after Vivaan James died of septicaemia, the family of the 11-month-old laid him to rest in a short, emotional ceremony at Orlem Church in Malad (West) on Sunday afternoon. (IE Photo: Vasant Prabhu)
Twenty days after Vivaan James died of septicaemia, the family of the 11-month-old laid him to rest in a short, emotional ceremony at Orlem Church in Malad (West) on Sunday afternoon. (IE Photo: Vasant Prabhu)
Vivaan's father, merchant navy captain Sunil James, arrived in the city on Friday after spending months behind bars in Togo. He had been detained on charges of abetting piracy. (IE Photo: Vasant Prabhu)
Vivaan's father, merchant navy captain Sunil James, arrived in the city on Friday after spending months behind bars in Togo. He had been detained on charges of abetting piracy. (IE Photo: Vasant Prabhu)
Vivaan was brought home on Sunday morning, wrapped in a white blanket and made his final journey in a hearse to the church with his favourite toy -- a green and purple turtle -- at his side. (IE Photo: Vasant Prabhu)
Vivaan was brought home on Sunday morning, wrapped in a white blanket and made his final journey in a hearse to the church with his favourite toy -- a green and purple turtle -- at his side. (IE Photo: Vasant Prabhu)
The funeral service attracted curious bystanders apart from a number of close friends and immediate family members. Local MLA Aslam Shaikh and MP Sanjay Nirupam also paid their respects. (IE Photo: Vasant Prabhu)
The funeral service attracted curious bystanders apart from a number of close friends and immediate family members. Local MLA Aslam Shaikh and MP Sanjay Nirupam also paid their respects. (IE Photo: Vasant Prabhu)
After a short prayer, during which Sunil and his wife Aditi James broke down several times, Vivaan was buried in a corner at the far end of the graveyard, under a tree. (IE Photo: Vasant Prabhu)
After a short prayer, during which Sunil and his wife Aditi James broke down several times, Vivaan was buried in a corner at the far end of the graveyard, under a tree. (IE Photo: Vasant Prabhu)
"There are some 5,000 people in this congregation and the graveyard is running out of space," said Vivaan's uncle, Rakesh Madappa. (IE Photo: Vasant Prabhu)
"There are some 5,000 people in this congregation and the graveyard is running out of space," said Vivaan's uncle, Rakesh Madappa. (IE Photo: Vasant Prabhu)
Aditi's uncle Tejas Rao said the family was having a tough time dealing with the loss. "When I took Vivaan to the hospital a few days ago, I never thought I would be carrying his casket as well. I hope no other family has to go through what we have," he said. (IE Photo: Vasant Prabhu)
Aditi's uncle Tejas Rao said the family was having a tough time dealing with the loss. "When I took Vivaan to the hospital a few days ago, I never thought I would be carrying his casket as well. I hope no other family has to go through what we have," he said. (IE Photo: Vasant Prabhu)
A wax statue of BJP's prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi was unveiled in Mumbai ahead of the 'Mahagarjana rally' he was to address in suburban Bandra this afternoon where 10,000 tea vendors have been specially invited. (IE Photo: Pradip Das)
A wax statue of BJP's prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi was unveiled in Mumbai ahead of the 'Mahagarjana rally' he was to address in suburban Bandra this afternoon where 10,000 tea vendors have been specially invited. (IE Photo: Pradip Das)
Narendra Modi poses with his wax statue. (IE Photo: Pradip Das)
Narendra Modi poses with his wax statue. (IE Photo: Pradip Das)

Most Viewed